like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Women in Beekeeping

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Women in Beekeeping

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Hi, I don’t know how many may know MIchele Colopy, who is head of the Pollinator Stewardship Council, has a very informative newsletter and does strong work on the issue of pesticide damage to pollinators, but she posted a blog about this very subject—Women In Beekeeping, that surveyed many issues related to the gender roles of traditional beekeeping and how things are changing. A quote from the piece regarding the “Honey Queen” competition still a part of some group’s activities—“I think both young men and women are needed to be spokespeople for the industry, and are needed to inspire young people.” “I believe the ‘crown and sash’ indicate and represent a tradition that may need to evolve into something different for our ‘Youth Honey Advocates’. I think the outreach is valuable, but the context is dated and sexist. I would like to see this program re-vamped to be open to young men and women, and for the “beauty pageant” aspects to be downplayed or eliminated, and the “public speaker/advocate” aspects amplified.” link is http://www.beeculture.com/women-in-beekeeping/ The ossification of some groups is reflected in the words of a national beekeeping leader (who did not want her name used….there you go…. a fear of backlash?) “National beekeeping leader: The practice of “we have always done it like this,” is strangling the industry, and turning off beekeepers with new ideas, and energy. Old grudges get in the way of progress. Beekeeping needs to move forward. Beekeepers waste time wishing to return to 1940s beekeeping: that world is gone. The world of our bees has changed, and beekeepers must change in order to help their bees. Women need to be respected for their skills and experience in beekeeping, as well as their work with National, state, and local beekeeping clubs.” http://pollinatorstewardship.org/

Women In Beekeeping | Bee Culture
    BEECULTURE.COM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About susan rudnicki

Been beekeeping almost 5 years now. Have 27 hives,(2 client hives) I work with the City of Manhattan Beach, re-homing bees in conflict with citizens. Allowed to keep bees at the Public Works yard (19 hives) in exchange for this work. I do many presentations for HoneyLove, teach bee students, rescue bees and sell honey.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.