like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Where to get brood?

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Where to get brood?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Crowell 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

James Crowell
    Participant

Hi,
    I am new to bee keeping and I am in need of some guidance and advice. I want to start a hive with a swarm. It’s my understanding that I would need some frames with brood inside my hive box. Where do I get the brood? Do I buy it, do other keepers lend brood frames out? If I can’t get any brood frames, what else can I try? Help a dude out. Thanks!
    James.

susan rudnicki

Hi, I think you may be misinformed about swarm establishment. A colony TRAP-OUT requires brood for the trap box. Brood is very valuable stuff and has to be obtained from another beek with the attendant nurse bees to care for it. What reading and mentoring have you done to reach this conclusion? HoneyLove has some very good mentoring classes, meetings with speakers, and opportunities to network to help you along. It is very important to do your self-education before acquiring the bees, so you are safe and confident—continual education must continue after that, also

James Crowell
    Participant

Susan,
    Thank you for responding. All of my research has come from various internet sources with the exception of honey love’s 101 class last week. There are so many contrasting views out there that it is exhausting. I plan on going to the meeting this coming Sunday. Me asking questions on the forum and joining honey love is my attempt at learning. I will take any advice I can get.

susan rudnicki

Hi James—well, sometimes when we get a lot of information all at once from a lot of sources it gets mixed up in meaning. Try to go back to the logic of what you may know about bee behavior. Think of what a swarm is doing when it leaves the original home—it leaves with the OLD QUEEN and some worker bees and possibly some drones. It does not leave with brood, does it? They are LOOKING for a new home, and when they find it, the workers will start drawing wax comb and the queen will begin laying eggs in that new comb, which are the “brood” Now, sometimes we can jump-start a hive as a potential homesite by having some empty frames of drawn comb inside a hive body which gives the queen instant availability for laying room. But brood, by definition, needs nurse bees to care for it, so we do not use frames of brood for swarm installation.

ceebs bailey
    Participant

James—
    Are you in the Homeschooling class? (Headphones?) Susan was the teacher for the class you attended.
    Let’s please chat this Sunday at the meeting. So glad to hear you’re taking the next steps! We’ll help you begin on the right foot.

ceebs..

James Crowell
    Participant

Ceebs,
    I think you are thinking of someone else. I did not attend a homeschool class. But I would still love to chat on Sunday. I am eager to gain knowledge on beekeeping.

Susan,
    Sorry I have not responded to you. Things have been a little crazy the last few days. Thank you so much for the information. It is very helpful. See you on Sunday.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.