like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Uninspected hive

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Uninspected hive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Karl Gee
    Participant

Hello, I acquired a hive 2 years ago through the help of Backwards Beekeepers. The bees have become very aggressive. I am in way over my head and need help.

I opened the hive in the Fall, but I got stung in the face, as they found a way into my mask. I used the yellow netted mask from L.A. Honey.

I had plans to split the hive, and I have 3 mediums and one tall box with waxed frames.

Is anyone willing to help me get this hive under control?

Karl Gee
    Participant

I have an extra empty box with waxed frames, 3 medium boxes and a deep box. If the current hive can be split and remains where it is, a free hive will be available.

Ruth Askren
    Participant

Hi Karl, it sounds like you have situation on your hands that will get worse by continuing to leave it be. Aggressive hives that have gotten overcrowded and have been neglected for as long as yours, have little chance of getting “rehabilitated” without putting your neighbors in danger. Aggressive hives are split only with a huge amount of angry bees flying and looking for a target, as you will uncover and take apart the brood chamber.

I recommend that you put this hive down with dry ice, admit you made a mistake to let it get away from you, and start over using only medium boxes (no deeps). Hives need regular monthly inspections. If you can’t commit to that, you should not be in possession of one. Beekeeping is a craft that is every bit as demanding as tending a herd of goats. If you leave them unattended they will get you into trouble.

We have a lot of bees in LA County. Start over and do it right this time.

Sean Schwab
    Participant

Hi Karl,
    If you need some help with your hive, Give me a call. I specialize in Native, Wild Bees. Removal and Relocation.

Thanks

Sean
    949-310-8866

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Jossip Benko was kind enough to take this hive after I alerted him to the difficulty. Susan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘HoneyLove Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.