like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

underground bees!!!

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum underground bees!!!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Miri Stevenson
    Participant

I’m sorry if I’ve created not relevant topic.. I need your advice.
    can you give any info on hive located under ground? recently one was disturbed at our neighbors yard, now, there is a new hive in our yard…or maybe it was always there…not sure what to do. can it or should it be removed? what kind of bees live underground?

ceebs bailey
    Participant

It’s quite likely they are not honey bee but are hornets, yellowjackets, etc. This link should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristics_of_common_wasps_and_bees

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Miri— hornets are not found in So Calif—I checked with a entomologist a long time ago. Second, honey bees sometimes occupy holes in the ground, such as exist under rock piles, firewood piles, old tree stumps, under the root systems of pepper and olive trees, sycamores, etc. I have removed them from some of these homes. They do not necessarily need aggressive approaches, like removal. Depends on if they are in a human traffic pattern or house area. First you need to ID what you have. Then, if you want them humanely located, please read the guide sheet on this site to help you know what that process looks like—at the drop down menu “About” then select “rescue bees” and look for “live bee removal best practices” You must pay for this service—people do not work for free

Thalia Daniels
    Participant

I think that is a hornet’s nest.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Well you’d be incorrect. First of all consult with the entomological groups—there are NO hornets in So Calif. Second Chip and I removed these honey bees successfully from their soon to be demolished ground nest

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.