like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Two hives need some Love

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Two hives need some Love

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ronni Kern
    Participant

I have two flourishing all-medium-frame hives. I just added a 4th 8-frame box to one hive. The other is a horizontal hive I built which currently holds 28 frames. (I do have the empty boxes I took the frames from so the hive could easily be converted back to a vertical format if desired) At my last inspection on Friday, it had 11 frames of mixed honey and nectar and 17 frames of mixed capped and uncapped brood (plus some back-filled honey and nectar). I pulled one frame of honey and nectar and gave it to the other hive, replacing it with an empty frame in the brood area. I planned to start adding boxes as supers as the flow really seems to be getting underway here. Unfortunately, after removing my suit I was stung be a bee I hadn’t noticed on it and had an anaphylactic reaction. I really don’t want to give up my hives (I love my girls), but my family is adamant I shouldn’t work them until I have seen an allergist, obtained some epiPens and preferably begun immunization therapy. Until I have been tested by the allergist, however, I won’t know if keeping bees will ever again be a good idea for me. (I collapsed within 30 seconds of the sting) In the interim, I thought I would explore whether any fellow Honey Lovers would like to adopt my hives, temporarily or, if necessary, permanently. I would hope they could remain where they are in Santa Monica for the time being, since they are surrounded by minimum 6′ fences on all sides and I would be no more vulnerable to them than I would be to any other bees flying around. Thanks.

David B
    Participant

Hi Ronni,

Would you email me at david@buzzedhoneys.com? My son is getting the bee allergy treatments now, so I can let you know how it’s going.

Also I’d like to help out with your hives. I have a few ideas that I think will work.

Thanks,
    David

Eric Young
    Participant

Ronni;

I can also offer help with your hives and/or help with the allergy issue.

I developed a bee allergy last year after it not bee-ing:) an issue.

I have had the allergy shots, but I also had the worst reaction during the therapy. So I can talk about it.

I still have my hive, and I still tend my bees–but I have learned how to “Nuclearize my suit.:)” And I have learned some protocols for making sure I avoid the post suit sting like yourself.

You can email me at: numbersix@icloud.com for help with the hives as well– and/or information on what I do now.

Good luck,
    Eric

Ronni Kern
    Participant

Dear Eric,

Thanks so much for writing. David B. had kindly offered to take my hives away to Topanga; but I had really hoped to keep them here and your message has given me hope. I would love to learn how you nuclearize your suit (and gloves? I have been stung a couple of times through my gloves) and also prevent post-suit-removal stings. I will admit I was a little unnerved to learn about your reaction during therapy but I have to assume there is always a chance of it.

Like you, I went a year with no issues. In fact, from catching my swarms exactly a year ago until last December I never got stung. Then, between a small barely-felt-by-humans earthquake and the rainy windy weather this winter, I got stung three inspections in a row. But I then went three more inspections with no problems and was feeling pretty smug until I took my suit off Friday!

Anyhow, thanks again for a beacon of light in all this darkness.

Best, Ronni (I did try your email address but the message kept bouncing back)

susan rudnicki

Hi, I will be giving the next presentation at HL on March 26 on Spring buildup. I want all of you to understand that bees have different moods depending on what is going on in the hive and the time of year. Bees in Spring buildup (which I saw starting around the beginning of Feb) with lots of brood, are more defensive and sketchy in attitude. We just need to be mindful of it and be prepared, go slow, and do the least manipulation to get the job done—i.e. adding some open frames.
    As well, the larger the broodnest, the more the bees have to defend, so a larger hive will launch more guards on opening the hive.
    The more you work with the bees, the more likely you are to get stung—it is just part of the picture. I get stung almost daily, at least once.

Ronni Kern
    Participant

Thanks, Susan. I intend to attend your presentation on the 26th. The problem is that, right now, I cannot risk getting stung at all. Unfortunately “part of the picture” for me is being dead, which I would rather not be. So I have to get my Rx for epinephrine auto-injectors filled, and discuss the situation with an allergist before I go near my hives again.

susan rudnicki

I understand that is the risk for you now. I make my comment due to some implication coming through about making bee suits “nuclearized” I do not think that is a wise strategy when dealing with such extreme sensitivity.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.