like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Troubled Hive

Home Forums Bulletin Board Troubled Hive

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marie Tobeason 3 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marie Tobeason
    Participant

I am a new beekeeper and my hive is struggling. I’m down to only a few hundred bees and I think that my queen may be laying only drones as all the brood cells have a convex appearance. Would it be possible for me to find someone willing to donate/sell a couple of frames of capped brood to give the hive a shot in the arm – or is that the wrong way to go?

ceebs bailey

Hard to tell without someone else doing an inspection with you and going over your notes. Do you need a mentor to come for a visit? What area are you in?

Marie Tobeason
    Participant

Thank you very much for your response. Yesterday I spoke with the beekeeper who runs the class that I’ve been taking and he is attempting to find someone to come over, look at the hive (where he thinks I’ve got laying workers) and perhaps set me up with a late season nuc. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll get back on the HoneyLove bulletin board and attempt to find a local mentor (I’m located in Pacific Palisades.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.