like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Swarm cell?

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Swarm cell?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Ozeas
    Participant

I have a new hive. They have been in a 10 frame deep for 8 weeks and I see lots of brood, pollen, nectar and some stores of honey. They started in 3 frames and have now built comb in 8 frames (although frame 8 is barely started). I inspected yesterday and saw two “bulges”. They are on different frames but both are located on the edges of the comb more toward the bottom side. Are these swarm cells? If so, what, if anything should I do about it? It seems like they have room since there are still empty frames in there and even the middle frames are not completely filled out to the edges.

Here’s a link to a photo: http://imgur.com/3mccsav

Karim Sahli
    Participant

Looks like the beginning of a queen cell to me.
    It’s strange they are building one at such early stage. Check if the queen is still around.

jimi chu
    Participant

is it a hive from package bees? if yes then they may requeen themselves. I had mine killed the queen after they had two frames of brood and I had to buy a new queen.

Melissa Ozeas
    Participant

The colony is a feral hive relocated from a tree 8 weeks ago. I just read an interesting article which said that if there are queen cups built but there are no cell contents (egg or larvae) that this is a natural stage in the build up of a colony and that swarming is not imminent. I’ll have to do some more research and watch and see what happens!

jimi chu
    Participant

I’ve read that bees may create “practice swarm cells”, as long as you don’t find eggs and jelly in them it’s fine.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

sorry Missy—I have to check the Forum notes each day, because the notifications don’t ever arrive to my inbox to tell me—even though I am signed up to get them!
    These are simply Queen cups and mean NOTHING. Bees will put them around the combs as precursors in case they need them, but the distinguishing feature is that they are rounded, like a tennis ball with a slice cut off. A real queen cell is elongated and narrow and often has “frosting” of white wax on it, showing the interest the bees are taking in it.
    Queen cups are often a confusing thing to newbees.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

sorry Missy—I have to check the Forum notes each day, because the notifications don’t ever arrive to my inbox to tell me—even though I am signed up to get them!
    These are simply Queen cups and mean NOTHING. Bees will put them around the combs as precursors in case they need them, but the distinguishing feature is that they are rounded, like a tennis ball with a slice cut off. A real queen cell is elongated and narrow and often has “frosting” of white wax on it, showing the interest the bees are taking in it.
    Queen cups are often a confusing thing to newbees.

Melissa Ozeas
    Participant

Thanks Susan. I spent some time researching the subject but it’s always reassuring to hear from an expert. See you at the conference!

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Excellent!! you are gonna have so much fun!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘HoneyLove Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.