like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Starting over…

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Starting over…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth Askren 5 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Byron
    Participant

It must of happened right after my last inspection, Ants where everywhere… and the bee’s? there were none 🙁
    I know I shouldn’t be as upset as I am, but I can’t help it…

I purchased a queen off Beeweaver apiaries but she flew away with her swarm.

Does anyone have any queens or brood frames for sale?

Thanks!

Ruth Askren
    Participant

Hi Byron!
    It is upsetting when ants or any pest takes down a hive. It is likely that the bees absconded as you say, because of the ants. Be sure to place the feet of your hive stand in cans of oil, or paint the legs of the stand with “Tanglefoot”, a product that you can buy at any hardware store or Home Depot.

If all your bees flew off, leaving you with no queen and no brood, it is not enough to try to start up again with only a frame or two of brood. You will need at least two frames of brood, some bee bread which is crucial in queenmaking, and honey. Or you could purchase a queen and supply her with some supportive nurse bees and brood along with the bee bread. It might be easier to just start with a new hive, or a nuc.

I have a couple of smallish hives I am willing to part with. Call me if you’re interested-

Ruth
    323-580-1492

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Byron

Hi, I'm Byron. I need all the help I can get starting, and maintaining a bee hive, if you have any tips or want to share anything with me, please don't hesitate to write me! About me: Before my father passed away he showed me most of California, needless to say I fell in love with my state and all its beauty. I want to maintain its beauty and I want to help our planet any way I can. I was in the Marines for about 7 years and now I'm out and back in school! My major at the moment is to be an environmental scientist. In many ways my Fav cartoon is Captain Planet! I also want to minor as a linguist, so if you speak another language or need help learning english please dont hesitate to send me a message, I will be more than happy to help you, I know how hard it can be to learn another language. Thanks for reading.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.