like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

San Fernando Valley hive needs free relocating

Home Forums Bulletin Board San Fernando Valley hive needs free relocating

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth Askren 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Cherie Le
    Participant

My front yard Walnut Tree’s trunk has a very calm and happy honey bee hive. Unfortunately I have to get rid of these little guys because my mother is moving in with me and she is highly allergic to bee stings.

I’m offering these honey bees to any interested honey beekeepers. I hate to do this, but I am ready to use “expanding foam spray” to close up the hole in the tree leading to the bee’s hive.

My home is in Sylmar, CA 91342 (North San Fernando Valley). The Sylmar/San Fernando Metro Train Station ( 12219 Frank Modugno Dr. Los Angeles, CA 91342 ) is only 1 mile away from my home. You can check out Mapquest for my location, & decide if I’m within your traveling range.

Ruth Askren
    Participant

Cherie, it’s important for you to know that the spray expandable foam is not a good choice for entombing bees in a tree. It is very susceptible to erosion in sunlight; it will crumble and the bees will chew through it within a week.

A better choice would be some form of concrete. If you do decide to close the bees in, you need to be sure that the entire tree hollow is entirely secure. If there are any leaks, the bees will find it and continue in their pursuits.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.