like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Planting for Bees

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Planting for Bees

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jimi chu 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ronni Kern
    Participant

At today’s excellent meeting I asked about lists of bee plants that flowered at different times of year (since most of the references given were East Coast centric) Susan referred us to Jeremy Rose’s book, Beekeeping in Coastal California; but it must be ordered from the author up in San Luis Obispo and I wondered if I could find some information sooner so I could get the fall/winter bloomers in now.

I found a wonderful source at UC Davis which of course is not exactly Coastal SoCal but still helpful. http://hhbhgarden.ucdavis.edu/BeeGardeningResources There are many many lists including this one which shows the plants that were planted in their own Bee Garden and indicates bloom time as well as whether the plant is a pollen or nectar source http://hhbhgarden.ucdavis.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Honeycomb-Hideout-Fall-2015-planting-plan.pdf

jimi chu
    Participant

thanks for sharing this. I’m too planting my bee yard. I’ve found that bluebeard is especially attractive to honeybees and very easy to grow and propagate. I found them in my local garden center, and there was a traffic of bees, so I bought 5 of them.

African blue basil is also very easy to propagate, I have successfully rooted two cuttings without previous experience.

There’s one big golden rain tree blooming in my neighborhood, my bees swarm to that tree everyday now.

Ronni Kern
    Participant

Thanks for the bluebeard tip. I definitely am going to check that out. My two most popular plants are the Catalina/hollyleaf cherries in the spring (California native, I haven’t watered them in years) and the California native sunflowers which are just now slowing down and reseed themselves every year. Bees all over them all the time.

jimi chu
    Participant

for CA native plants, I’m going to plant wild lilac(ceanothus), buckwheat and coyote mint. I’m replacing the lawn with ground covering ceanothus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.