like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Need topbar mentor – Sherman Oaks

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Need topbar mentor – Sherman Oaks

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ruth Askren 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jan northrop
    Participant

I have a topbar hive, which I managed ok in 2012 until there was a robbing incident in Sept. Which resulted in my hive dying out. I cleaned it out and a wild swarm moved in in April of 2013. I was able to check on them and they were doing great up until July. Then I had a health issue and just let them go for the rest of the year. When I checked on them at the beginning of the year they were bursting at the seams! I have a second topbar hive and would love to split them but do not feel I have sufficient expertise. I have 3 bee suits, smoker, and time.. Would be more than happy to share honey and wax in return for any help. They still seem happy, but I don’t know what to do and fear they will swarm. It seems that most of the folks here have conventional hives, but I would greatly appreciate any advice/help with a topbar.

thank you so much for such an informative group!

Jan nortnrop

Ruth Askren
    Participant

Hi Jan, if you call or email me I can help you build on what you already know. Splitting a top bar hive will not be difficult if you have your location set up and your equipment ready.

Ruth
    ruth@beecapture.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.