like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Need to relocate a hive

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Need to relocate a hive

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Young 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Eric Young
    Participant

Honey Love;

I have been a member for several years now, and I have kept a few hives in my backyard.

I had an incident today that is probably going to require me to move my hive. Does anyone know of a place where I can relocate them? Is anyone interested in a mature hive with boxes and producing bees?

I would love to know if I could relocate my hives to the sanctuary. I would love to continue working my hive. I just fear I need to move it.

Thanks.

ceebs bailey
    Participant

Hey Eric! Please email me at ceebs@honeylove.org so we can discuss your options placing your bees at the Sanctuary. Thanks!

Eric Young
    Participant

Thanks. I will.

Eric Young
    Participant

I have sent two different emails to CEEBS@honeylove.org without a response.

I have to assume at this point that I am left to deal with this another way? But thanks for the consideration.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

HI Eric—I would guess the delay is because Ceebs pretty much carries the entire HL club burden alone and it is a bit much for a volunteer. The club desperately needs more members doing the outreach speaking events, managing the club meetings and other jobs. Ceebs has a regular job, too, like all of us, to pay the bills.

You write this “kept a few hives in my backyard.” But the note then says this “require me to move my hive. Does anyone know of a place where I can relocate them?” It is not clear what the incident was, or how many hives you need to move. It sounds like you have A hive that has become aggressive—I am just reading between the lines…. Are you unable to manage it now? The number of outlets for such a colony are limited due to the general nature of inexperience in the HL club membership and tight lot sizes in LA. I would try to find a experienced beek—Dael Wilcox, the Natural Honey Company, 951-534-4727 might take them.

ceebs bailey
    Participant

Hey Eric! Let me go check my emails. Still recovering from a little surgery I had. Stand by.

Eric Young
    Participant

Super thanks to Ceebs and Susan. I got your email Ceebs. I do totally understand the situation especially at this time of year.

This incident is one of those that unfortunately is not unlike a dog biting a neighbor. I have to move the hives and of course it became an immediate issue for me. This is especially true to the extent that I want to promise the neighbor the issue will be dealt with.

It is worth noting as I try to troubleshoot what exactly happened I can only think my hive requeened between November and January without my knowledge. I was in the hive in February and did not see signs of requeening and the hive was not unusually ornery. However, in the past month I was attacked by bees in my garden. At the time, I figured that they were native bees and I was destroying their in the ground habitats. In hindsight, I think the bee population in the hive had turned over under the new, Africanized really meany queen. I have been beekeeping now for about 5 years I think and I have never seen this level of aggression.

If I thought I had a few months, I would requeen in place. This is certainly a lesson worth sharing on this site. Had I recognized the issue earlier, I would be well on my way with a new queen and re-calmed hive.

Thanks again everyone. I will either speak to the neighbor and see if I can get a reprieve while I try to relocate. Or I will have a rescue company come and take the brood boxes. It should make it pretty straighforward to requeen and take off.

Susan–a special thanks to you. My oldest hive came from a great swarm you gave me many years ago. And I probably ignored a high level of aggression in the past two year just because this hive produced a lot of honey for me. Greed is not always good.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.