like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Looking for this specific frame style. Have you seen it?

Home Forums Bulletin Board Looking for this specific frame style. Have you seen it?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nolan 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nolan
    Participant

I got two of these frames from the meetup auction last month as part of a complete hive. I really like this foundationless V-shape style top bar as it’s similar to the shape of the top bars in my Warre hives. I know Kelly Bees sells their own version but it’s a different shape. As I transition out my plastic frames to Foundationless I would like to try these if possible. Does anyone know where these come from?
    Langstroth Foundationless Deep Frame

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Nolan.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

These are called “Ray’s Special” fromn Pierce Bee Supply in Fullerton. Ray Teurman, one of our members, persuaded a company normally quite conventional, to make frames for us keeping foundationless.

Nolan
    Participant

Thanks Susan! It’s a simply perfect design; as soon as I saw it I knew I needed to find more. Looks like I’m going to the OC!

Dennis

You cam adapt your standard frames to be like that. Go to a good lumber yard (not Lowe’s or Home Depot) and ask if they have chamfer strips. Learned Lumber in Hermosa Beach has them in the perfect width to fit a frame. They came in very long pieces but the yard will cut them to size Request them to cut to 16 7/8 inches and they will fit just right. (17 in is too long). Attach to your frames and you ar good to go.

Nolan
    Participant

Haha I know nothing about woodworking, I didn’t know what chamfer strips were until I looked them up. Good deal, I was looking how to make new top bars without investing in special equipment that could slice a finger off. Thanks Dennis!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.