like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Legalizing Beekeeping in Beverly Hills

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Legalizing Beekeeping in Beverly Hills

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David B 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kayla Stormont
    Participant

Beekeeping is currently still illegal in Beverly Hills, despite LA County’s semi-recent legalization. I’d love to keep bees in my backyard but I technically have a BH zip code. Any ideas for how to work towards legalization in Beverly Hills?

There may be other places in LA where this is also the case so if there’s a good process to follow, this may be helpful for many veteran or aspiring beeks.

susan rudnicki

Hi, kayla—yes, there are a lot of localities that are not under the umbrella of LA City, so are not afforded the ability to keep bees legally. Chelsea McFarland, the founder of our group, with her husband, Rob (you can see them on the pull-down tab under “About” on our website) knows more about the process than anyone. But it is not easily or quickly done, typically. The LA City effort was 5 years in the making.
    The truth is—a majority of beeks in LA are just keeping bees anyway. With careful, diligent management, and attention to constant learning by the beekeeper, the bees can do very well and not be a bother to anyone.

Roberta Conroy
    Participant

Hi Kayla, BH zip does not mean you are in BH. I have a SM zip but am in LA. Check who picks up your trash! Who provides your utilities! You might be in BH and if you are, I suggest following LA laws re placement, etc.
    I just wanted to be sure you did not make the wrong assumption since you mentioned zip code which is not determinative.

David B
    Participant

Kayla and others,

See the Beverly Hills municipal code (link below)

5-2-109: KEEPING BEES PROHIBITED

It shall be unlawful for any person to have, keep, or maintain any hive or swarm of bees within the city. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the keeping of bees within an educational institution for study or observation or within a physician’s office or laboratory for medical research, treatment, or other scientific purposes provided the bees are not permitted to fly at large. (1962 Code § 5-1.104; amd. Ord. 09-O-2560, eff. 2-6-2009)

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/getBookData.php?section_id=583147&keywords=bees#583147

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.