like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

How Do I Get Bees?

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum How Do I Get Bees?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  erik gonzalez 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Note: to subscribe to this topic, and get email updates, whenever someone posts click the subscribe button below (on the right side of the yellow header).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rob McFarland
    Rob McFarland
    Keymaster

This is every aspiring beekeepers first or second question, so here are a few ways to get bees. This thread is to meant help new-bees navigate to world of acquiring bees. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to fire away!

How do I get bees?

• You can order a package of bees from a number of suppliers but the drawbacks are that these bees might require chemical treatments to survive and, if they are not sourced from a local supplier, might not be well adapted to local conditions.

• You can buy a “nuc” (pronounced nuke) colony from an established local beekeeper. With a nuc you get 3-4 frames of brood comb, 1-2 frames of honey and pollen and a laying queen. Nucs can expand rapidly, so your first year honey production may be greater than if you used a package or a swarm. The drawback is that beekeepers generally charge a fair amount of money ($250 and up) for a queen-right nuc.

• Catching a swarm is another great option for obtaining bees. Swarming is how bees reproduce and establish new colonies. Typically this happens in Spring and early Summer and is a result of over-crowding in the brood nest. Swarms consist of thousands to tens of thousands of worker bees, a few hundred drones, and one queen. If you can catch or attract a swarm to a box, you’ll have everything you need to establish a colony. In their quest to find a new hollow space to establish their colony, swarms pick an intermediate location to rest while scouts look for new locations to move into. This is the best time for a beekeeper to gently nudge the cluster of bees into a swarm box or hive body. If you can get the majority of the bees to fall in your box, chances are you will get the queen as well. Once the queen is in the box, all the other bees will make their way inside. Alternatively, you can bait a box with lemon grass oil and beeswax, and a swarm may very well find the way into their new home.

ceebs bailey
    ceebs bailey
    Participant

SWARM AVAILABLE.
    Susan Rudnicki has a heavy swarm box for adoption. Please call her at 310-374-4779. Bees are in Manhattan Beach and will need to be installed in your fitted out hive tonight (bottom board, hive body with frames with comb guides, top board)
    Susan will help you with verbal instructions when you arrive to pick them up.

Reuben Valles
    Participant

Hello Everyone, well I will be ready to set up my first hive tomorrow sat September 28th, 2013. I have my deep hives, stands, and frames and will be getting them in place tomorrow morning. So starting this weekend i will actively be searching out a NUC or a swarm. I will be raising them without foundation, bee syrup, or treatments. Im going to start from day one with this style of beekeeping
    Thank you,

Reuben Valles
    310-663-5965

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Reuben Valles.

erik gonzalez
    Participant

mrs susan my name is erik if u still have the swarm for adoption i would be joyous to give the swarm a good place to thrive i will be calling u soon have a blessed day madam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Rob McFarland

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.