like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Established bee colony needing a new home

Home Forums Bulletin Board Established bee colony needing a new home

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fred Wendland
    Participant

I have a 4 brood box hive of Italian honey bees. They are 2 years established. Th colony is strong. I’ve left them alone the last year or so as I’ve been busy and neglected up keeping. It a matter of time no other reason. The bees can be aggressive with load noises but as Mose bees stick to themselves if not bothered. If anyone would like these bees I would be happy to donate all of the boxes and equipment. I’m located in Venice, CA.
    My email is fwwiii@yahoo.com if interested.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Fred—how do you know these are “Italian” honey bees? Were they from a package? So, package bees usually need treating with miticides. Have you been doing this? If they are actually feral bees, they are not Italians. Please describe, for those who do not know, if they are in 4 DEEPS or 4 MEDIUMS in terms of Langstroth box size. “Brood box” is not a box size, The former is a lot bigger colony than the latter. Please do not hand this aggression off to a complete newbee. A neglected hive needs a experienced beekeeper to check it out. The bees are most likely just fine in terms of temperament, but neglect of their housing space will cause great crowding and lead to grumpiness. It is not responsible beekeeping to “give” such a colony to someone just beginning. Please vett the persons responding carefully, find out if they have a hands-on mentor and if they have some experience. Is this hive registered with the County of Los Angeles?

Fred Wendland
    Participant

Hi Susan-
    Thank you for the follow up.
    The boxes are all large Langstroth DEEPs. They are on a metal four legged stand with a wooden bottom and a scree. The wooden roof is cover with copper angled to keep water from pooling… This is a large Hive.

I did not catch these bees- I purchased 1 Italian Nuc with a VSH resitant queen. These bees may have been displaced by other type of honey bee. I am not sure. And Susan has a very good point- I am looking for an experienced bee keeper to remove the bees and take them to a caring home.

In case its not clear I am looking for someone who is experienced and has time to work with them.

Thank you for the follow up.

Regards Fred

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Fred—thanks for the more detailed reply. I will assume that if you were not treating the bees with acaricides that the original nuc died out and ferals moved in. VSH does not convey thorough resilience to Vd, and is notoriously fickle in expression, genetically. In other words, it is not a stable characteristic, having been selected artificially by humans. Also, even if you have 4 deeps, in not inspecting for a year, there is no telling how many boxes they are actually occupying. A lot of times the bees will abandon the lower box to storing bee bread and move the brood nest upstairs.
    If I knew someone capable, I would recommend you to them, but right now my students seem to have all they can handle and I can’t think of anyone. Please be careful!

Chuck Schmitz
    Participant

Fred,

I sent you an email as well. I am happy to come take look and relocate the bees.

Chuck
    Chuckschmitz99@gmail.com

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Fred— good for you and the bees. Chuck is a experienced beek, and was a student of mine. We did several cutouts together and he is able. Susan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.