like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Does anyone here live in Glendale?

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Does anyone here live in Glendale?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Hanna 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Emily Van Voorhis
    Participant

I was reading up on the municipal code and it definitely does address keeping a beehive. With that in mind, I’m wondering how many people here are in Glendale–or know of beekeepers in Glendale. I’m trying to see if the GPD does generally enforce this. My husband works with the police department (not as an officer, but as a chaplain) and I don’t want to do something that will jeopardize that. But again, if they don’t really enforce it, then I don’t know how much I care.

Steve Hanna
    Participant

I work for the city and I know for a fact that there are 2 commercial beekeeping operations in Glendale. There is one behind Mayors Bicentennial Park that the beekeeper actually has a key to the gate to reach his hives. And there is another by the Sports Complex on Fern lane, it’s right off the path to the police range. But that being said I would base my decision on hive on what part you live in. And how big your lot is. I know that there are some backyard beekeepers in Glendale, but a lot of Glendale is small lots with apartments intermixed with single family homes. But if you have a good size lot with no apartments nearby and talk to your neighbors before you get a hive you should be ok. Just don’t let your hive be seen and pick a good spot for it and you should be ok.

Emily Van Voorhis
    Participant

Interesting. Thanks! I actually live near the sports complex myself–off Fern. I know exactly where you are talking about. Do you know who runs those hives? I’d love to check them out sometime. I live in a cul-de-sac in that neighborhood by the sports complex and there are only 3 houses on our street. We back up to a big hillside so I was thinking there might be a spot somewhere on the hill. I’m interested in finding out more about beekeeping and possibly having a mentor for a bit before deciding where/when to start.

Steve Hanna
    Participant

I don’t believe there is public access on that road. You definitely cannot drive on it. Check out the sign on the gate and see what it says I’ve never actually read the whole sign. A mentor would be great. I am still very new at this. This site is a good place to get info. The Los Angeles County Beekeeper Assn meets in La Crescenta every month. Honey Love is Great but they are in Moorepark and with my schedule I can’t seem to make time to attend their events but I have learned a lot from this forum

Emily Van Voorhis
    Participant

I know which road you are talking about and it is walkable from my house. My husband has been up there many times with the police department (their firing range is up there).

Can you give me more info about the meetings in La Crescenta? I’d love to check it out some time.

Steve Hanna
    Participant

Ok, the hives up there are right off that road to the range. As you are going down the path just before you start going uphill you will See a path to the right. The hives are about 100 ft up the path. The web site for the meetings in La Crescenta is losangelescountybeekeepers.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.