like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Community space for a hive

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Community space for a hive

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ceebs bailey 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Wasson
    Participant

Hi there! I am new to the Venice area and would like to start a hive (although I know I’m late). I wanted to see if anyone knew of community space that I could use for a hive. My yard space is small and with neighbors. Any advice would be great!

susan rudnicki
    Participant

HI, Jennifer—you are not too late. This is a concern mostly in areas that get winter cold, so books describing “too late” don’t apply here in CA. Swarms and cutouts of colonies are year-round. First, I strongly urge you to get educated —read a basic book—the “Idiot’s Guide to Beekeeping” by Herboldsheimer and Stiglitz and the “Save the Bees…” by Chelsea and Rob McFarland, highlighted on this website. It is imperative that you understand the biology and management of honey bees, especially in the urban environment. Then, get your protective bee wear and the basic tools. Last, hook up with a more experienced mentor, there are several in Venice. However, it is important that you determine if beekeeping is allowed in the place you want to keep bees. Not all cities in the LA basin allow it. Unlikely a community space will allow it, as my experience is too many others occupying the same site (for veg gardens, etc) do not find it compatible. Better option is finding a willing homeowner to allow a tenancy. Keep us up to date on your progress and if you need help locating information

ceebs bailey
    Participant

Hey Jennifer!

HoneyLove rents space to members annually at our bee yards. Send me an email if you’d like more info. ceebs@honeylove.org

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.