like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Bees wanted in Valley Village

Home Forums Bulletin Board Bees wanted in Valley Village

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mel Futrell 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jen Petrovich
    Participant

Hi everyone-

For all you bee rescue folks, we’re looking for a swarm. Our bees took off last Fall. We’ve been keeping bees now for 4 years, have all the equipment and organic surroundings. Let me know!

Thanks-
    Jen Petrovich

Dennis
    Participant

There may be some individuals on this list who can help you but HoneyLove does
    not do bee rescues.
    Requests are referred to Bee Allies. You might contact them.

Jen Petrovich
    Participant

Thanks Dennis! Yes, was hoping another participant in the forum would be a swarm rescuer or be able to refer me. I reached out to Bee Allies. Thanks!!

susan rudnicki
    Participant

The key to being self sufficient is to make some contacts with folks encountering swarms in the wider environment. That might be tree trimmers, remodeling contractors, house builders, gardeners, municipal agencies (police, fire, public works) garden centers and pest control businesses. Call up some of these and let them know you want to be notified when swarms show up, as swarm season has been going on for at least a month. Get your nuc box with frames of drawn comb ready so you are prepared at a moments notice. You should know how to get your own swarms, so also check into the methods of setting swarm traps in your vicinity. The Treatment Free beekeepers FaceBook group talks about it all the time.

Jen Petrovich
    Participant

OK great!

Clearly I misunderstood & now know that in So. Cal there aren’t bee rescuers that are looking for homes for the bees.

I’ll go ahead & buy ’em retail. I work way too many hours a week to be available to trap swarms.

Eric Young
    Participant

Did you get bees eventually? I may have a hive I need to relocate and/or donate to someone.

Jen Petrovich
    Participant

Hi Eric!

Yes, we bought bees this year. Three weeks in, they’re doing great! Thanks for asking.

Jen

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Hi, Eric—just be sure to follow the HL post guidelines if you are getting rid of a hive. There needs to be some disclosure and the colony should be listed on “Bulletin Board” Here is the text from the website—

For all posts regarding the sale/donation/trade of honey bees or beekeeping equipment, please use our new bulletin board forum and give full descriptions of your situation:

-How many boxes, deeps and mediums?
    -Brood nest and honey storage areas?
    -How old is the colony?
    -Is it from a swarm, cutout, other?
    -How often have in-hive inspections been done?
    -What would be your assessment of the colony’s attitude to inspection in the brood nest? With proper smoking and preparation, of course.

Roberta Conroy
    Participant

I live in Rustic Canyon (Pac Pal at SM) and I am looking for two swarms. Just putting it out there. I have baited my hives and hoping for the best. (I lost both my hives at the same time last month and most agree due to poison) I got my original swarms through professional bee removers and have reached out to them as well. Thank you. Roberta 310 890 6300.

Mel Futrell
    Participant

Hi, Jen!

I could use a TF mentor, and live very near Valley Village (Victory x Laurel), if you have any time to spare. Just someone to check out my hives and go through an inspection with me.

Let me know if you are available at all.

Thanks!
    Mel

Jen Petrovich
    Participant

Hi Mel!

although we’ve been keeping bees for 5 years now, we won’t be particularly helpful. we’re very passive, hands off beekeepers. we pretty much leave them completely to themselves except to be sure they have expansion space and when we harvest honey (maybe once a year). Last year we discovered we had mites because we found some bees in the pool that had mites attached to them. We chose not to treat the hive. the bees absconded in late October, but left us 1.5 gallons of honey (awesome!). Last year it was a feral hive. This year we bought bees.

Good luck with your hive!
    Jen

Mel Futrell
    Participant

Thanks for the swift reply! I’m sorry for my delay; I just returned from a conference. I fully respect your decline, but to clarify, I’m just looking to know someone in the area who is treatment-free with more experience than my none. ?

I don’t plan to invade mine any more than absolutely necessary, either. I am about to combine the weak, queenless hive from a split to expand a strong queenright hive that was originally a small swarm (both hives are currently 8-frame single deeps). It’s 2-3 frames of empty brood-comb, a full (heavy!) frame of honey and a little bit of pollen, and a handful of straggling bees.

Good luck with your bees, as well!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.