like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Beekeeping Questions

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Beekeeping Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Rob McFarland
    Keymaster

Whether you’re an experienced beek or a total new-bee, this is your place to ask questions and help others in their learning process. Fire away!

ceebs bailey

There is honey in my hives, but due to the slow year we’ve had and the current dearth I would prefer to not take any off (if at all) until later in the Fall or early Winter to make sure the bees have plenty. Can you please tell me when would be a good time to harvest while making sure the bees are not penalized? Thanks.

Ruth Askren
    Participant

Hi Ceebs, I wouldn’t take any off at this point, until the spring. While in the dearth, it’s going to get them through the time of least resources out there. Then, we may have a “fall flow”, when things cool off a bit and we get some blooming natives. But if we have any winter rains and cold, they will hit after that and that’s when the girls are going to need their stores! So I would wait until late February or March, when your forage will be awesome, and the workers can put back right away any surplus that’s taken.
    Ruth

ceebs bailey

Finally, a sensible answer! Thank you. I had read some internet stuff and determined that late Fall was best but I like your answer better and respect your advice even more. Spring it is. I want those girls fat and happy.

cb..

Reuben Valles
    Participant

How many of you have ever gotten a swarm to come to a swarm box? If you’ve had success in attracting some bees, how did you do it? Did you use pheromone? lemongrass oil? both?

Susan told me there are 9 feral colonies per square mile in Los Angeles, so it must be super easy to catch em right??? 😉 Im kidding of course

Just wanting to pick everyones brain

Ruth Askren
    Participant

I have a nuc box about 15 feet up in a tree at a house in the SF valley where the homeowner has had bee hives inside of that tree for years. Her next door neighbor hates when swarms land on his property so we have been keeping a 5-frame nuc box up there pretty much all the time. With beeswax on starter strips, it’s a well used nuc box which I also baited with a q-tip of lemongrass oil. I have caught two swarms there since last April.

Tamme Tsunoda
    Participant

Hi I just joined this site today. I came home to s surprise I have a swarm hanging in my tree and am thinking about keeping the bees. Any suggestions? I live in Santa Monica.

ceebs bailey

Tamme—unless you have all your woodware built and ready to go, bee suit, veil, equipment tools and *education,* it would be best to let this swarm move along on its own. They will only stay a few hours or days. Your best bet is to get equipped and place a baited hive or swarm box in your yard. it’s early in the season; another swarm will find you when you’re more prepared. In the meantime, become a HoneyLove annual member and come to lots of workshops.

cb..

Thomas Grueser
    Participant

I need bee’s removed from my house, do you who take them

ceebs bailey

Hey Thomas—
    Here’s a link to our referral page:

http://www.honeylove.org/rescuebees

Brandall Suyenobu
    Participant

I also need a hive removed from my house, but rather than have the bees taken away, would like to keep them on my property and start beekeeping. It looks to me like the groups listed in honeylove/rescuebees only remove the bees. How can I get some help with removing the bees from my house *and* setting them up in a box on my property? Because of the legal situation, so I have to do the latter process myself? This is in the North Hills area of the San Fernando Valley. Thanks.

Max Morgan
    Participant

Brandall – I’m just up the road from you. Give me a call (661.312.3910) and I’d be happy to come down and see what can be done in terms of doing a removal and rehiving.

ceebs bailey

Brandall—
    Many of the professional rescuers listed on our referral page also do private one-on-one mentoring and/or hive management for hosts.

cb..

Brandall Suyenobu
    Participant

Max and cb – thanks for your help. I’m well on my way to getting things taken care of.

lily Strauss
    Participant

Hi,

how many hives can one responsibly and responsibly keep on a 1//4 acre residential lot in the City of Los Angeles? We have a fair amount of bloom all year round from a variety of flowering plants. We have two established hives, but we recently captured a swarm with the intention of giving it to a friend, but that friend can no longer take them. Would 3 hives be too many? We’d rather gift the hive to a willing and ready taker if our other two hives will have a greater chance of thriving.

Thanks,
    Lily

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘HoneyLove Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.