like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Beekeeper Guiding

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Beekeeper Guiding

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I am a bit new to beekeeping. Have a hive for about two years now. About two months ago I got my first honey. the person that gave me the bees got them from a cutout. he helped set them up on my property.

Would like to know if there is any beekeeper here that would be like to guide me now and again with my hive in Monterey Park, 91755?

Have been watching a lot of youtube videos about beekeeping. just when I think I know what to do i’ll see another video and it gives me another idea for the same task. it does get kind of confusing to know what things I should be doing.

I feel more comfortable tending to the hive and bees with an experienced beekeeper as still feel a lack of knowledge and don’t want to mess anything up with them. it’s one thing to watch videos and go to a beekeeping meeting and another to do it oneself with their own hive.

If that might be you , please contact me

thank you

nora

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Hi, Nora—as it happens, though I am a mentor located in Manhattan Beach and a HL member (I do a lot of the events for education outreach, such as what you mentioned in your other note) I helped a new beek out in Monterrey Park just a couple weeks ago. Pat Chin, at pachin@charter.net
    626-576-7958 She is a former school teacher and very organized, intelligent, and patient. It would help you to hook up with her. Also, to widen your social group with other beeks of varying degrees of knowledge, I urge you to join HoneyLove. It can ONLY be positive help. (did someone in our group get the bees and “set you up”? Did he not offer to mentor you? it would be helpful to know the history of your management—how often the brood nest is inspected, how many deep or medium boxes they are in now, and other details)
    You have had your hive quite awhile, in comparison to many in the group. I would be careful of getting bogged down with all the posts and blogs on the Internet—it can be very confusing, since the majority of beeks in the world are using package bees, treating with chemicals for pests and disease, monitoring constantly for these things, using wax or plastic foundation, using queen excluders and other heavy management. Also, most are living in temperate climates, very dissimilar to our own. In HoneyLove, we avoid these inputs as they can affect the health of the bees very negatively.
    I would urge you to read a basic book that is in harmony with the style I advocate and it is listed on our website as the beginner’s guide—
    “The Idiot’s Guide to Beekeeping” by Herboldsheimer and Stiglitz. Also, our go-to source for best practices is Michael Bush who wrote “The Practical Beekeeper—Beekeeping Naturally” His entire book does not need to be purchased as he has it all on-line at http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Finally, though it does seem there are lots of different ways of doing the same thing or finding a remedy for the same problem, these are all tools you assemble for the “toolbox” of your knowledge, to be used selectively when you want to solve a problem. In other words—there is often NOT just ONE right answer. Several things might work, and each might be a little more or less successful, depending on the circumstances!
    call me if you need more information Susan, moderator for HL
    310-374-4779

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.