like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Ant control is not optional!!

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Ant control is not optional!!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  susan rudnicki 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

susan rudnicki

Beeks—I am getting reports of new cutouts, and recently installed bees, getting mobbed by ants because the new beek has failed to install some sort of ant repellent system to the hive legs of the hive stand. First–you must understand the fundamental drive for the Argentine ant to exploit sugary food sources—whether you “see” the ants or not. They are out there! They are building their populations in the same way healthy bees attempt to at this time of year. Ants will also eat the brood. The bees will abscond under the pressure. Don’t be silly and think there will be some miracle and the ants won’t find YOUR hive.
    All feeding baggies must be INSIDE the hive body, on top of the frames with a feeding shim or another hive body to create the space for this feeder. It must contain a LOT of honey—a cup will not be adequate. Do NOT try to make the honey go further by diluting it with water. It will spoil, firstly, and it will be too runny, secondly.
    The hive stand should have the garden product “Tanglefoot” applied in a one-inch wide band to the legs of the stand JUST UNDER THE BOTTOM BOARD. This location will get the least number of crawling bees stuck in the ant barrier. Hives placed on bricks or some other surface that does not allow you to isolate the hive from mobbing ants is asking for trouble. I want you to be successful in bringing home your new bees, but this ant problem is something you have to plan for. Susan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About susan rudnicki

Going into my 3rd year of beekeeping. Have 9 hives, work with the City of Manhattan Beach, re-homing bees in conflict with citizens. Allowed to keep bees at the Public Works yard (6 hives) in exchange for this work.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.