like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

New Hive

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum New Hive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Laire
    Participant

I am trying to start my own urban hive. I have looked very extensively at the new flow super kits. This appears to be the least maintenance for upkeep and collection. Can anyone provide me with some of the pros and cons for this type of system?

ceebs bailey

David—you will find a vast amount of information including pros and cons on the Flow Hive forums on their website. Have you checked that out already?

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Hi, David—yes, the FH is the new darling of the uninitiated set—meaning, those who have not kept bees. However, I can link you to a few reviews which question the claims, especially, the “ease” of maintenance, the long term wear of the plastic frame mechanisms (bear in mind, all the views you are seeing so far are pristine, not-used or barely been used, honey boxes) and the expense, which is considerable.

These reviews have been done by experienced beeks, so should be taken into account. Keeping bees is about 90% space management and caring for the bees—not taking off honey, which tends to be the focus of the FH and the FH proponents.
    Have you read any basic books about the bees as a superorganism, or society, the management of bees throughout the year, and the skills needed to do this work? If you live in the city, preventing swarming is critical to not annoying the non-beekeeping public living in close proximity. This takes education and the acquisition of a skill set.
    Since HL is a education organization, I would strongly urge you to focus on the skills needed to manage and keep bees healthy and alive—not so much on the boxes they occupy.
    Here is my phone if you want to chat Susan, forum moderator
    310-374-4779

Dennis White
    Participant

There are health benefits and the most obvious downside to urban beekeeping is the threat of bee stings to the greater population.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Dennis—please read our website for information on the issue of bee stings in the urban environment. To summarize, there are 9 to 11 WILD honey bee hives in the LA basin and surrounding urban areas. The bees are already here, so keeping them in managed boxes is simply another way, not a increase in the likely incidence of stinging events. This is simply misunderstood urban mythology.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘HoneyLove Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.