like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

My new swarm/colony is leaving again!

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum My new swarm/colony is leaving again!

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karim Sahli
    Participant

Hello,

I saved a swarm from sure extermination at my kids’ school 3 weeks ago.
    Vector Control was about to kill them but the guy was nice and dump them in a nuke box (timely provided by Honey Love!) at my place.

The bees didn’t like it at all — a third of the swarm was wounded by the gruel vacuuming process and died in front of my eyes.
    The swarm left soon after.

Later that day, after a thorough clean of the nuke (full of dead bees), I put back the swarm in the box and they stayed their for a few weeks.

Yesterday, I rearranged some combs and it looks like they didn’t appreciate the “help” as they just left the box again minutes ago.

My plan is to put them back in the same box again until I find the time to get a new beehive.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

Best regards,
    Karim

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Karim Sahli. Reason: Typo
    Stefan
    Participant

Before I attempt to answer, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Are the bees making comb?
    2. Are there any queen cells?
    3. What was the time between the first swarm and when you moved the combs around?
    4. What type of bees? (AHB, European, etc?)
    5. Are you seeing honey/nectar/pollen/eggs in the cells?

Initially I would have to say that getting a new box will not rectify your problem. There seems to be environmental factors at play here, as the bees’ behaviour is directly affected by them being moved. I can answer alot more specifically after you answer the questions I’ve provided. Cheers 🙂

Karim Sahli
    Participant

Hello, I am finding your post only now — sorry for the delay.
    Since the last time I posted this question, a lot happened. The swarm left the beehive a third time and stayed just under the nuke. Then got back into it and got out of it again. It then stayed there, getting smaller each day and finally disappeared.

To answer your questions:
    1. Are the bees making comb?
    They started to do so but not following the frames.

2. Are there any queen cells?
    Nope.

3. What was the time between the first swarm and when you moved the combs around?
    Two weeks.

4. What type of bees? (AHB, European, etc?)
    I don’t have the expertise to tell.

5. Are you seeing honey/nectar/pollen/eggs in the cells?
    The combs were small to start with. Pollen was there but very little number of broods.

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.