like Facebook follow Twitter watch YouTube subscribe RSS Feed

Dresser cutout bees in Torrance

Home Forums HoneyLove Forum Dresser cutout bees in Torrance

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    susan rudnicki
    Participant

I have received a call from Lin Anderson, who is actually 3 blocks within the city of LA, though her mailing address is Torrance, that the bees living in her old dresser in the back yard (she uses it as her gardening cabinet/work table) need to go. She is anaphylactic, but was holding on to the bees because she is certain their pollination is needed for her garden. I assured her there are plenty of bees in the neighborhood to do this without danger to her. She stepped on a dying bee last week (barefoot and letting the dog out to the yard) and had to use her EpiPen and go to the emerg. room. I told her I have 3 jobs before her, so I would post her job on the forum. She will pay. She is at 1449 W. 218th st, 310-320-1426. She is somewhat infirm.
    Please call her if you have the skills for a cutout and want her bees. Susan

Rob McFarland
    Keymaster

Just a reminder that if you choose to respond to this rescue call, you are not doing so as a representative of HoneyLove. Thanks!

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Hi, Rob—would you rather I not post these things here? It could complicate things, as I think about it….

Rob McFarland
    Keymaster

I think it’s fine for now. I just want to make it clear that if people find out about a cutout or swarm here, that it doesn’t give them license to represent HoneyLove. I benefited from hearing about swarms/cut-outs on the bbk list; I learned SO much in the process but I did so ON THE JOB…pretty scary thinking back. I want to make sure we’re not dispatching unexperienced people into harms way, for their own sake and for those in the mix. I remember being fresh and eager and thinking ‘how hard can it be to cut-out some bees?’ and I just went for it. I’m damn lucky that things didn’t go disastrously wrong, and that I was the only one to get stung in the face 🙂 Beekeeping is a serious responsibility – especially in the urban environment – so I’m going to take every opportunity to remind people to be careful out there, be humble, be cautious, and don’t bite off more than you can chew.

Thanks Susan.

susan rudnicki
    Participant

Thanks Rob—I am so grateful you are putting up these cautionary messages. Just yesterday, doing a water meter box cutout in crowded Manhattan Beach, the local neighbor who is keen to keep bees— “when do you get the honey and how do you do it?” —- exemplified for me the sometimes unrealistic expectations the public has about the craft of keeping bees. All they focus on is the reward in honey, and not the getting knowledge to get to that later point. A friend of mine, who is not a beekeeper, offered a thought-cartoon to contemplate—“yeah, they just want a hive with a spigot on the front to turn and the honey comes out!”

Sean Schwab
    Participant

Classic… HONEY SPIGOT!! LOL, Yeah I hear that a lot also. Sooo when do we get the gallons of honey? Next Week?
    I will be in L.A. on Weds if the bees are still there. I would bee happy to cut-out those bees.
    Please see my videos on YouTube or Yelp for my qualifications.
    Thanks

Sean Schwab
    Schwab Apiaries
    ApiariesOC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘HoneyLove Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

About susan rudnicki

Been beekeeping almost 5 years now. Have 27 hives,(2 client hives) I work with the City of Manhattan Beach, re-homing bees in conflict with citizens. Allowed to keep bees at the Public Works yard (19 hives) in exchange for this work. I do many presentations for HoneyLove, teach bee students, rescue bees and sell honey.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.